Starting a print-on-demand business is an attractive option for entrepreneurs seeking a flexible and low-investment business model. Print-on-demand enables you to create and sell custom products online without holding inventory.
Printify is a popular platform for this as it streamlines the entire process by connecting you with print providers and handling logistics.
This article is your guide to starting a print-on-demand business using Printify and will talk about the platform, services, and how to set up an account.
Related Reading: The Ultimate Guide to Starting Your Ecommerce Business
What Is Printify?
Printify is a print-on-demand platform that enables users to create custom designs, print them on a variety of items such as t-shirts, mugs, and phone cases, and offer them to customers without worrying about inventory and shipping.
Users can create their own designs using platforms like Procreate on an iPad and then upload them to Printify. The platform takes care of product creation, printing, order fulfillment, and shipping on your behalf.
Printify offers an extensive range of customizable products, including t-shirts, hoodies, phone cases, and home décor items. It integrates seamlessly with popular e-commerce platforms like Shopify and Etsy, making it easy for users to sell their custom products online.
Printify has been in the print-on-demand business since 2015 and has established itself as a reliable platform. With a focus on customer support, transparent pricing, and quality control. Printify has earned a positive reputation among e-commerce entrepreneurs and customers, making it an ideal choice for building a successful print-on-demand business.
How to Create a Printify Account
Starting a print-on-demand business with Printify is simple and straightforward.
We will cover the necessary steps to create an account, the fees and pricing structure, and the shipping options available on the platform.
1. Go to Printify.com on your preferred web browser. On the Printify homepage, click the “Sign Up” button located at the top-right corner of the page.
2. You will be prompted to enter your name, email address, and create a password for your account. Fill in the required fields and click “Sign Up”
3. Once you've created your account, you can access the Printify dashboard. From there, you can set up your profile by adding personal and business details, such as your store name and profile picture.
4. To start selling products, you'll need to connect your Printify account to an e-commerce platform like Shopify, WooCommerce, or Etsy. Go to the “My new store” section and click “Connect” to link your store to your chosen platform.
5. Create your design. Use graphic design software or hire a designer to create unique and eye-catching designs for your products. Make sure the designs are high-resolution and properly formatted for printing.
7. Determine the selling price for your products, taking into account the costs of production and shipping. Review the shipping options provided by different print providers to select the best fit for your store.
8. After setting up your products and designs, you can publish them to your e-commerce store. Once your products are live, customers can start placing orders.
When customers place orders, they will automatically be sent to Printify for production and shipping. You can track the order status and manage your business through the Printify dashboard.
How Much Does Printify Cost?
Printify offers a flexible pricing structure to accommodate businesses of all sizes. There are three pricing plans:
- Free: This plan is perfect for those just starting out and allows access to most features with unlimited product designs.
- Premium: For a monthly fee of $29, the Premium plan offers reduced product costs, which can lead to higher profit margins. It also includes additional benefits like custom order import and priority support.
- Enterprise: Custom pricing is available for businesses with high sales volume. This plan offers exclusive features and dedicated account management.
Remember that the fees mentioned above are for using Printify's platform only. You will also need to consider the cost of products and printing, which will vary depending on the items and designs you choose.
While the Free plan doesn't have a monthly fee, you'll still need to invest in marketing and promotion, as well as cover the cost of products and printing.
Printify's Shipping Options
Printify offers various shipping options through its network of print providers. Shipping costs depend on the chosen provider, product, and destination. It's essential to review and compare the shipping rates before selecting a print provider.
While Printify doesn't provide free shipping directly, you can still offer it to your customers. To do this, you'll need to factor the shipping costs into your product prices.
By increasing the product prices to cover the shipping expenses, you can advertise “free shipping” to attract more customers.
Just be sure to strike a balance between competitive pricing and maintaining a healthy profit margin.
Building a Business with Printify
Starting a print-on-demand business with Printify is a fantastic way to generate income while offering unique, custom products to customers worldwide.
We'll dive into the essential steps to building a successful business with Printify, including choosing products and designs, integrating the platform with e-commerce sites, and implementing effective marketing and promotion strategies.
1. Choosing Products and Designs
Your product selection and designs play a critical role in the success of your print-on-demand business. To make your store stand out, consider the following:
- Identify your target audience. Understand who your ideal customers are and what they're looking for in terms of design and products.
- Create eye-catching designs. Develop unique and attractive designs that resonate with your target audience. You have several options for creating these designs. You can either design them yourself, collaborate with talented designers, or even hire freelancers from platforms like Fiverr, where you can find a wide range of skilled professionals to help bring your vision to life.
- Test your products. Ensure that your chosen products and designs look and feel great by ordering samples from Printify before adding them to your store.
2. Marketing and Promotion Strategies
Once you've set up your store, it's time to attract customers through various marketing and promotion techniques.
- Utilizing social media
Create engaging content on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to showcase your products and designs.
Use targeted hashtags, engage with potential customers, and collaborate with influencers to increase your reach.
- Sponsored guest posts and media kit promotion
Partner with bloggers and influencers to create sponsored content that highlights your brand and products.
Make sure to have a well-designed media kit that includes information about your brand, products, and promotional opportunities.
- Affiliate partnerships
Collaborate with affiliates who can promote your products and drive traffic to your store. To better understand your target audience, run polls using platforms like Pickfu. This will provide valuable insights, allowing you to improve your product offerings and increase sales.
Printify's Top 3 Competitors
While Printify is a good and popular choice for starting a print-on-demand business, here are other platforms that you may consider:
Printful is one of Printify's strongest competitors, offering a similar range of services and a slightly larger product catalog. Both companies offer custom branding options and seamless integration with popular e-commerce platforms.
Printful stands out with faster shipping times, but their pricing is also competitive with Printify.
Redbubble differs from Printify and Printful in that it is both a print-on-demand service and a marketplace. While their product catalog is more limited, Redbubble's built-in customer base can be an advantage for artists looking to gain exposure.
Custom branding options are limited compared to Printify and Printful, and the pricing tends to be higher. However, they do offer global fulfillment.
Teespring is another popular print-on-demand service, though they have a more limited product catalog compared to Printify and Printful.
Custom branding options are limited, and shipping times tend to be longer. However, Teespring's pricing is competitive, and they integrate well with popular e-commerce platforms.
|Product Catalog||Over 250||Over 290||Over 70||Over 50|
|Integration||Shopify, Etsy, etc||Shopify, Etsy, etc||N/A||Shopify, etc|
|Customer Support||Live chat, email||Live chat, email|
|Shipping Time||5-15 business days||3-8 business days||5-20 business day||9-12 business days|
|Shipping Cost||Varies by location||Varies by location||Varies by location||Varies by location|
Starting a print-on-demand business with Printify is a rewarding endeavor that offers a low-cost entry point into the world of e-commerce.
With its wide range of customizable products and seamless integration, you can easily scale your business as it grows.
Have you used Printify before? Share your experience with us in the comments section.