E225: Do You Have to be Passionate About What You Sell? The Ups and Downs of Running an Ecommerce BusinessFebruary 21, 2019 in Ecom-Crew-Podcast
I used to say that passion is not that big a deal when it comes to choosing a niche for an ecommerce business.
Over the years as our business evolved and we faced the inevitable challenges that came with growth, I’m starting to think that passion might not be overrated after all.
My good friend and our guest today, Joe Cochran of ComfortTac, certainly agrees.
Joe dipped his toes in ecommerce when he began helping his father run Northline Express, an ecommerce business that specializes in fireplaces and chimneys.
The company was eventually sold and Joe built his second company, ComfortTac, selling concealed carry holsters. Joe was passionate about this product and while he avoided the mistakes he and his father used to make, being lean in his finances–even renting out the bedrooms of his house to funnel cash into his new business–he was was not immune to the difficulties that came with it.
But he knew his product well, and with this knowledge he was able to minimize the impact of a major manufacturer error that threatened to put him out of business. His passion for the product was one of the major reasons that kept him from throwing in the towel.
In this episode, you’ll learn
- How ego-fueled mistakes led to the decline of his father’s business
- Why hiring consultants is almost always a very risky and costly mistake
- What Joe would have done differently with his father’s business
- The value of being frugal and keeping your personal finances in order
- Manufacturer mistakes will almost always happen at some point and you need to be prepared for it
Thanks for listening! Until the next one, happy selling.