E260: Ecommerce Accounting Essentials for Online SellersJune 24, 2019 in Ecom-Crew-Podcast
Ten episodes ago, I talked about some of the math involved in running an ecommerce business. Episode 250 ended up being one of our most impactful episodes to date.
So I thought it would be a good idea to do a deep dive on all the essentials of ecommerce accounting. To do this effectively, I needed to have an expert on board to break down all these things with me.
Luckily, I sat next to Scott Scharf and his wife at a dinner during this year’s Ecommerce Fuel Live and he agreed to come on the show.
A Little Bit about Scott
Scott Scharf is the co-founder of Catching Clouds, an accounting services company that caters specifically to online businesses. Through the company, he’s worked with ecommerce entrepreneurs for nearly eight years, helping them stay on track financially.
What We Covered
In this episode, Scott and I go full Ecommerce Accounting 101. Here are some of the basic concepts and terminologies discussed.
- The most important function of accounting is to have financials you can look at on a daily or monthly basis that will tell you how your business is doing.
- Profit & Loss Statement (P&L) – all the components that make up your top-line revenue; also called an income statement. An example would be Amazon sales.
- Cost to Goods Sold (COGS) – shows how much it costs to create, ship, and sell a product/widget. Shipping cost would be included here.
- Subtracting COGS from P&L would give you the Gross Profit.
- Subtracting your operation expenses (e.g. payroll) from Gross Profit would give you your Net Profit.
- Balance Sheet – a report of the company’s assets (e.g. inventory, money in the bank) and liabilities (e.g. business loans).
Listen to the entire podcast to get a grasp of all these accounting basics so can make better sense of your financials.
EcomCrew Premium is opening on June 26th through July 1st. Pre-register today so you can have access to tools that can help jumpstart your online business.
We’re having a free webinar tomorrow! Learn email marketing fundamentals and hear us talk about our favored strategies to capturing emails and building your list.
Subscribe to the 5 Minute Pitch podcast and get the chance to win over $5K in prizes.
Want a physical copy of our tried-and-tested Amazon launch strategy complete with examples and screenshots? Get your free book here.
Join season two of the 5 Minute Pitch by filling out and submitting the application form.
Finally, if you enjoyed listening and think this episode has been useful to you, please take a moment to leave us a review on iTunes.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy selling!
Michael started his first business when he was 18 and is a serial entrepreneur. He got his start in the online world way back in 2004 as an affiliate marketer. From there he grew as an SEO expert and has transitioned into ecommerce, running several sites that bring in a total of 7-figures of revenue each year.