E268: How Harnessing Creativity Can Turn a Hobby into a BusinessJuly 22, 2019 in Ecom-Crew-Podcast
On today’s show, I talk to one-half of a husband and wife team who has managed to build a successful online business off of Amazon. What’s more amazing is their carving a spot for their brand in a highly competitive niche.
Meredith Erin and her husband Matt are the two creatives behind Boredwalk, an online shop that sells a variety of wearable art.
Meredith and I talk about a variety of topics – from their creative inspirations to being partners in and outside of the business.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Meredith on how the lack of females in STEM professions has led to fewer women building businesses online (3:45)
- How a hobby turned into a full-fledged ecommerce business (8:51)
- What their creative process is like (11:36)
- How she and her husband were able to carve out a spot for their products in a crowded niche (14:26)
- On the importance of “leading with content” and creating great emails (17:59)
- How she and Matt manage being a couple as well as business partners (22:58)
- How they grew Boredwalk and continue to make it profitable (26:07)
- Why they no longer sell on Amazon (43:03)
This episode is part of our Women’s Month celebration. We’d love to see more women in the ecommerce industry, so if you are a female business owner, head over to www.ecomcrew.com/underthehood and tell us your story. We’d love to feature you on the podcast.
Michael started his first business when he was 18 and is a serial entrepreneur. He got his start in the online world way back in 2004 as an affiliate marketer. From there he grew as an SEO expert and has transitioned into ecommerce, running several sites that bring in a total of 7-figures of revenue each year.