E284: Selling the “Most Popular Instrument You’ve Never Heard Of”
Greetings from scenic Lake Tahoe. I’m cranking out this Under the Hood episode before we head on down to Las Vegas, where the weather looks to be warmer this time of year.
I love niches and I love meeting entrepreneurs who are passionate about the things they are selling. Today’s guest is a happy mix of both. Nic Dillon is a long-time musician and owner of Old Delhi Music, a website that specializes in high-quality musical instruments from India.
While you can expect to find sitars and drums on his store, Nic is famous for playing and selling harmoniums.
Sit back and listen as he shares a bit more about his business and gets advice on how to take it to the next level.
Here’s a list of handy timestamps to get right into the meat and potatoes of our conversation.
- How Nic got his start as an online entrepreneur (4:11)
- From hobby business to full-time gig (8:29)
- What’s the revenue been like? (9:48)
- The struggles of selling (13:20)
- Leveraging the workmanship & uniqueness of a product (18:30)
- Letting people know that it’s a premium product (26:15)
- Is focusing on that one product we’re known for a good idea? (35:42)
- Getting more people to be buy harmoniums (53:13)
Under the Hood is a segment where we do an hour-long coaching call with one of our listeners. We take a look at their businesses, provide honest feedback, offer our best business advice, and answer whatever questions they have. In exchange for the free coaching, we will turn the call into a podcast episode so that our community can benefit as well. It’s a win-win!
Interested to learn more about sourcing from China? Join our free webinar on October 8, 10 AM PST. Reserve your spot now!
If you think this episode has been useful to you, please take a moment to leave us a review on iTunes.
Till the next one. Happy selling!